Author Topic: Coautl 3 beta: "addon X is out-dated"  (Read 2954 times)

honanhal

Coautl 3 beta: "addon X is out-dated"
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:40 pm »
Because I was having trouble with GSX in FSX-SE, I downloaded and installed the Couatl 3 beta today. Unfortunately, now at the beginning of every flight I get messages for each of the (many) FSDT airports I own, e.g. "The addon 'KDFW' is out-dated. Please download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
James

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coautl 3 beta: "addon X is out-dated"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:16 am »
I tried doing the same (install the current Couatl 3 Beta in FSX:SE), and I cannot see any problems.

It's possible the antivirus has blocked files from being updated so, do as follows:

- Download and install with the antivirus DISABLED

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

YourFSXfolder is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

honanhal

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:09:21 pm »
So I disabled myantivirus, downloaded and installed the Couatl beta, ran FSX-SE, and got the same error messages as before. I should also mention (since I forgot in my first post) that in addition to those messages, if I try to open the GSX actions menu from FSX I get a "could not find valid AFCAD" message at each and every airport. I tried refreshing the FSX scenery library, but it makes no difference. I did notice GSX doesn't seem to refresh its own cache, which it normally does every time the scenery library changes.

For now I guess I'll go back to the most recent full addon manager, since that at least works some of the time. Still, if you have any other idea what might be happening here I'm all ears.

Thanks,
James

honanhal

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
Umberto, apologies, but I think you've confused me with a poster from another thread. For one thing, I (unfortunately) never managed to install Couatl 3 with no errors...

I've had two separate error messages, but not the ones you've mentioned here. The first one is "addon X is out-dated." The second one is "could not find valid AFCAD."

To be totally clear, here's exactly what I did.

1) I first put in the exceptions you identified in my antivirus and then disabled it entirely.

2) I downloaded the latest full addon manager and the Couatl 3 beta.

3) I first reinstalled the latest full addon manager (which as I understand it means Couatl 2 was reinstalled), mostly to make sure I could "roll back" to that without complications if needed.. After doing this GSX worked as it did before (that is, mostly normally but incapable of restarting in FSX: SE and prone to crashes).

4) I then installed the Couatl 3 beta.

5) I then reactivated my antivirus.

6) When running FSX after that, on a flight fully loading I'd get a serious of dialog box error messages, one for each FSDT/Flightbeam scenery I have installed (all of them, in fact), that read "The addon 'X' is out-dated. Please download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager." It then minimized FSX and opened the addon manager download page.

7) When I ignored that and tried to use GSX services anyway after restoring FSX, I got the "could not find AFCAD" message at the top of the screen. I tried this at several airports, all with the same result.

8) I then reinstalled using the latest full addon manager, which restored the old functionality--which, to be clear, is not ideal (since it crashes often and can't be reset), but still works maybe 70% of the time instead of 0%.

I hope that helps clarify. Thanks for your help.

Best,
James

honanhal

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
Umberto, any other ideas with this? Couatl 2 is working pretty well but it does have some drawbacks in FSX:SE, so I'd like to switch to Couatl 3 if I can.

Thanks,
James

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »
As I've said, I tried doing the same (install the current Couatl 3 Beta in FSX:SE), and I cannot see any problems so, I cannot replicate what you are reporting, and nobody else reported it so, it simply cannot happen.

To do a clean installation, do as follows:

- Uninstall GSX.

- Reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine ?" made at the end. This is VERY important

- Check if your FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl folder is not there anymore.

- Remove these folders:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali
%PROGRAMDATA\Virtuali

- Check you don't have any file named bglmanx* ( a .DLL and some .DAT files ) in your FSX root folder

- Reinstall GSX.

- Install the Couatl 3 Beta.

Of course, with "FSX" folder, I mean the folder under Steamapps.