Author Topic: Sneaky Norton Utilities Program  (Read 4156 times)

spinker

Sneaky Norton Utilities Program
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:45:48 pm »
Hello,

While re-installing FSX my Norton Internet Security program came out and grabbed my Couatl file claiming it was a virus.

I have purchased almost all of FSDreamteam products but now I have none.
Can you help me correct this problem please.

Larry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Sneaky Norton Utilities Program
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
Norton is clearly defective, and Symantec even confirmed they have white-listed the current version of Couatl.exe in the last email we got after we reported a False positive for what is probably the 10th time. They always reply like this, and I really don't know what else we can do, other than suggesting users to switch to a reliable antivirus.

As explained, many times already on the forum, when your antivirus is bugged, you must:

- Download and install with the antivirus turned entirely OFF

- Before running the antivirus, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe
FSX\bglmanx.dll

PhantomTweak

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:13:17 pm »
I've been using Norton's products since DOS 3.1, and I swear by it, warts and all. Let's face it, Peter Norton pretty muuch invented Antivirus, not to mention all the other things that it can do, like SpeedDisk, HexEdit, and so on. I didn't have any trouble installing the latest Couatl at all with it. I didn't try with older versions though. There are numerous other software to do all that stuff available now, but Norton started it all off!

Pat☺

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:03 pm »
I've been using Norton's products since DOS 3.1, and I swear by it, warts and all. Let's face it, Peter Norton pretty much invented Antivirus, not to mention all the other things that it can do, like SpeedDisk, HexEdit, and so on.

The current software from Symantec doesn't have anything to do with Peter Norton since the 90s, when they bought his company. They kept the name precisely for the reason that many users from old times, would automatically assume the software "must be good" today, just because it WAS good back then.

I didn't have any trouble installing the latest Couatl at all with it. I didn't try with older versions though.

If you configured it correctly, as we always advised in all the forum thread, it will of course work. That doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't mistakenly detect our products as threats, and its heuristic is based on assumptions that are simply wrong.

Our software is even tagged with the IEEE TAGGANT standard, that should help antivirus products not catch false positives WITHOUT any need to be configured, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
 People need to better understand the systems that they have in their PC's. Configure Norton correctly which isn't difficult and it'll serve you very well.

spinker

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:09:07 am »
Thank You All,

Your replies were helpful, but I need to know how to get aother "Couatl" file  so I can restore my FSDreamteam files.

Can someone direct me to the proper location to get "Couatl" file.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:35:57 am by spinker »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:39:58 pm »
Your replies were helpful, but I need to know how to get aother "Couatl" file  so I can restore my FSDreamteam files.

Can someone direct me to the proper location to get "Couatl" file.

Everything you needed to know to fix this problem was already included in my first reply. You only had to follow it TO THE LETTER. I'll copy it again:

When your antivirus is bugged, you must:

- Download and install with the antivirus turned entirely OFF

Since the Couatl.exe (like any other file that makes up the software installation) is installed by the installer, running the installer with the antivirus disabled, will prevent the antivirus from mistakenly removing it while installing.

- Before running the antivirus, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe
FSX\bglmanx.dll

This, instead, will prevent the antivirus from mistakenly removing and/or blocking the file AFTER the installation, when FSX will start.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »
Hello,

While re-installing FSX my Norton Internet Security program came out and grabbed my Couatl file claiming it was a virus.

I have purchased almost all of FSDreamteam products but now I have none.
Can you help me correct this problem please.

Larry

I used to use NIS and I liked it a lot - never had any bugs get into my computer, but I recently switched to ESET NOD32. I like it much better.
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD