Author Topic: f-18 hud waterline  (Read 48085 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: f-18 hud waterline
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
Full screen HUD is interesting to me for sure, as long as the AoA indexer has room at the left side? Generally I find it very annoying that the left support metal for the HUD is ALWAYS in the WAY when on centreline for the angled deck. BAH HUMBUG!  ;D

When replying, to add pics then click on blue text 'Additional Options' below left of the reply window. At the ATTACH window click on the 'Browse' button to go to your pic(s) etc. ..... & then POST!
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Doum76

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 07:52:59 pm »
Doum76, Nice HUD changes. Thanks for finding and fixing.  ;D  Works OK now on my system.

Hey Spaz,

No problem, always a pleasure to help back.  ;D

Doum76

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »

DOUM, I have a request.  Can you please modify the right HUD GPS/ILS info. block with your MAD .xml skillz?  If I'm flying to KDFW from KTIK, its about 150.3 miles.  When I select DIRECT TO, and program in KDFW on the GPS, then use the HUD CP or MFD to select GPS, on my HUD, even at its widest settings (+550 x/size), it cuts off the W halfway in the "150.3 KDFW" just below the ALT box gauge.  If you want to see what I mean, program in a waypoint to your GPS that you know is over 100 or even 1000, and then make your HUD display GPS Waypoint info.  You'll see what I mean, right off the bat.  Any help is appreciated.

Laterz
Sludge

There you go, it was a tricky one though, had to modify 3 infos for it, since i'm no expert at it, just trying out things, takes a few tries to find out how it works. :)

In the HUD NAV block sections inside the .xml file, starting with <Position X="470" Y="450"/> <Text X="140" Y="23" Bright="Yes" Length="40" ..... I had to play a both with the first X's and the second X's...  The first one seems to be the coord. inside the HUD, the second one, the Coord inside a kinda mask zone and inside the HUD, so had to move the X in the HUD than modify the X coord  inside that invisible Masking Box, i also made the text aligement RIGHT, meaning the additional text flow will makes the texte line grow on the HUD inside zone rather than the outside and making it get closer to the Metal Frame, i've  also changed the Lenght variable that seems to be that kinda masking zone that was cutting the text... so i made changes to allow texte being all showed up as hundreds digits, and thousands digits, as shown in the attached picture, and also made me change that also on the clock again, making aligne to the left and making the added time, or the Z for Zulu time inside the HUD rather than getting closer to the Metal Frame.

Hopes it does what you wanted.  ;D

Doum76

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:26 pm »
Hello SUBS...

Yeah, we got a good HUD here and I think that it is modeling the NWS lo/hi modes correctly.  I'm researching if some of those NWS settings in the default might be why the nosewheel steering is soo finicky during touchdown and causing lots of sim aviators to crash, along with the braking problems.  Ill let you know how that goes.  Also, that fix DOUM did with the clock is great.  Which reminds me...

DOUM, I have a request.  Can you please modify the right HUD GPS/ILS info. block with your MAD .xml skillz?  If I'm flying to KDFW from KTIK, its about 150.3 miles.  When I select DIRECT TO, and program in KDFW on the GPS, then use the HUD CP or MFD to select GPS, on my HUD, even at its widest settings (+550 x/size), it cuts off the W halfway in the "150.3 KDFW" just below the ALT box gauge.  If you want to see what I mean, program in a waypoint to your GPS that you know is over 100 or even 1000, and then make your HUD display GPS Waypoint info.  You'll see what I mean, right off the bat.  Any help is appreciated.

OH YEAH, I almost forgot...  I even got the new HUD to work full screen, all you have to do is alter your "panel.cfg" file and rewrite both "gauge00" lines for the MINIPANEL and MAIN_PANEL windows to read "gauge00=fa18_hud!fa18_hud, 0, 0, 456, 378, 4"  I havent messed with the numbers yet, so the HUD still appears low and wide, but I will soon and keep you updated on that front.

Also, since I'm obviously new to online forums, how do I post pics that you can expand and see from the post?  Would like you fellas to see some of my progress...

Laterz
Sludge

I'll have to try out that full screen, see what it does.  ;D Oh, and may i ask what is exactly NWS lo/hi modes?

SUBS17

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 08:09:47 pm »
Nose Wheel steering Lo and Hi modes, with Lo it moves like a normal NWS for an aircraft in Hi mode it will turn well beyond the normal limits to allow the hornet to manouvre on the deck of the carrier.

Doum76

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »
Nose Wheel steering Lo and Hi modes, with Lo it moves like a normal NWS for an aircraft in Hi mode it will turn well beyond the normal limits to allow the hornet to manouvre on the deck of the carrier.

So if i understand right, Hi makes it tight turn when taxing and Low, as would be needed on any Runway, slower turns that doesn't need to turn on a Dime sorta?

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21:58 pm »
DOUM...

You are the CHAMP!!  Thats exactly what I was asking for...!!  Now I cant wait to get home and download and install.  You know, keeping these mods going is great.  If someone can get the AUTO-FLAPS logic figured out, ie, rewriting/changing whatever program dictates the half/full flaps deploy speeds to what they should be and not 90 kts or whatever "too slow to be effective except on the ground" range they are at now... the FSX F-18 would be damn near the perfect aircraft for FSX flight simming.  Virtuali, any inputs you have would help...

Other than that, much thanks for some great .xml work.  Like I said, you got MAD .xml mod skillz.

Laterz
Sludge

Doum76

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »
DOUM...

You are the CHAMP!!  Thats exactly what I was asking for...!!  Now I cant wait to get home and download and install.  You know, keeping these mods going is great.  If someone can get the AUTO-FLAPS logic figured out, ie, rewriting/changing whatever program dictates the half/full flaps deploy speeds to what they should be and not 90 kts or whatever "too slow to be effective except on the ground" range they are at now... the FSX F-18 would be damn near the perfect aircraft for FSX flight simming.  Virtuali, any inputs you have would help...

Other than that, much thanks for some great .xml work.  Like I said, you got MAD .xml mod skillz.

Laterz
Sludge

;D Anytime, but all that was because of your skill to figure out what to put in the Panel.cfg so we can use it, i tried before you came out with the package and weren't able to.  :o

Yep that would be grat for the Flaps, also if someone could come out with a Model with some external thanks, stuff on stations, we could be able to use the FSX Weapon Packs, even beter if someone could come out with some Targeting features on the HUD...humm maybe i'll try to get that going by looking at some of the already implanted stuff on the HUD, but that's asking lots of figuring out, later tonight i'll try to get back on making my engine exhaust gaz effet better, since i've figured out how to attach file  ;) i didn't found out until last night, i'll post the effet on the forum.

Now time to cook some General Tao, catch you guys later, and thanks again dude for the Collimated HUD!!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 04:20:47 am »
Dr DOUM...

Greatness, my friend...!!  Great mods for the vapor, the smoke, and now the HUD Right Side Info mod., what more can I say?  Big Thanks, man!!

Hope you enjoyed that General Tao, Id get you some pizza and captain morgan's for these mods.  I even settled for the keeping the leading edge flaps auto = 1 (auto logic) and the trail flaps = 0 (manual), and the landings are soo much better.  Much more glideslope control and response.

Also, just added the gear compression mod, and did a few touch and go's at KTIK... so far-so good, now I just have to try on the carrier and see how it handles the cat shots (trouble area in the boards) and the traps.

Later dayz!
Sludge

Doum76

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 04:39:15 am »
Greetings man,

Hope you enjoy the smoke, i can't tell you how the hell i made myself white hair appear to figure out how Effects works, made lots of reading, of tries, those things are a pain in the ass to do as you would like it, but so far, i'm stil surprise i could end up with that result, for the vapor, that was the challenge, i tried for a few days creating one, a moving one, but couldn't figure out how to make the particules to follow a specific pattern, since the vapor on a F/A-18 follow the kinda little wingtip from the nose going to the wings, would had be easier on a Tomcat for exemple sinse it's straight, so i ended up modifying that one from the SuperHornert, instead of moving into the air, it's 12 little cloads overlapping each others and not moving, like 12 lights allignes rottating on each others.

Now i wanna try to fix the ACLS Tadpole, it's moving, but not turning showing up the direction.

And yeah the General Tao was good, my first try, but less complicated to do than figuring out stuff in .xml andd effect.  ::)

Pizza and Cap. Morgan... that would a dreadful cocktail. :)

Take care.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:46:41 am by Doum76 »

SUBS17

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 08:38:52 am »
Can you fix the FPM as well as that needs some modding it moves way too much.

SUBS17

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 08:40:07 am »
DOUM...

Laterz
Sludge

You would probably want the FBW fixed as well as there are problems in that area as well as the trim.

Doum76

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 02:49:15 pm »
Can you fix the FPM as well as that needs some modding it moves way too much.

I can try to take a lok at the flight path marker man, but as i said i ain't developper, i simply read and try to figure out, when things got too deep in programming, i have a hard time, for exemple last night i tried to do some stuff with the steer cue, tadpole, but no sucess, i want the tail to turn as it would be to show up the heading.

I'll give a try with the FPM.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »
I think for this f-18 fsx model, I would be happy with some of the upgrades talked about, because they are a possibilty without having to know how to completely rewrite code.  I mean, if someone with as limited skill as myself can find the KBT SuperHornet HUD files, read some boards, try out the ideas and make them work, and explain how I did it to the public, then anybody can.  On top of that, you throw in a modder like DOUM, who is good enough to rewrite some .xml files and experiment, that opens up a whole nother can of whup ass on modding.
Other than that, I guess we will have to wait for the VRS SuperHornet for FSX for those upgrade mod monsters like FBW or hopefully a carrier ILS with highly realistic HUD with all the bells and whistles.  I guess its supposed to be FSX-centric with alot of the upgraded realisms we want or talk about, but we will see when it comes out.

Anyway, thanks for trying DOUM... that would be nice to get the steer cues and ACLS to work, but sometimes, as modders, we dont win.  Been a great week though, with plenty of success in my book!

Laterz
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:03 pm »
You won't have to wait long for the FSX version of the VRS Superhornet as it might be released later this year although I think the Pro version will be the one to look out for. BTW whats the button for the NWS modes for FSX acceleration hornet and I wonder is it possible to have a NWS engage/disengage button as well? Another idea for drastically increasing the immersion of the carrier Ops is to have animated crew on the deck. DiDs Superhornet featured this where they used a combination of hand signals and radio signals to guide the Rhino to the Cat its nice to see that FSX supports animated people so it might be worth looking into.