Author Topic: Memoryproblems with Klax  (Read 5019 times)

eleuth

Memoryproblems with Klax
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »
When I load a plane in KLAX version 2 my memory usage gets up to over 3gb and the I get an out of memory  error. Even if I put all the sliders in the add on manager to the left.
I never had any memory errors only with KLAX.
Any one who could help?

Use Prepar3d V2.5, and KLAX V2.0 on a windows 8. computer with a I7 5800, 16 Gb memory and a Nvidia970

Regards,

Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Memoryproblems with Klax
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »
As discussed many times already when OOM have been reported, it's never the scenery causing an OOM, it's the combination of *everything* you are running at a certain time: the airplane used, AIs, every scenery used including mesh, vector scenery, and of course the airport too. They all compete for the limited 4GB absolute maximum memory limit that FSX and P3D, as 32 bit apps, can use.

What has been proven to be the most memory consuming items, are some 3rd party airplanes: some of them might take up to 1.0GB of RAM for themselves (the exact amount depends if you use DX9 or DX10), while a detailed airport like KLAX is about one quarter of that size. Here's a post with some measurements, showing that KLAX is the less impacting add-on, when memory is concerned:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,7285.msg62471.html#msg62471

eleuth

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »
Umberto,

Thanks for answering so fast (it is weekend!)
I didn't want to blame Klax for this OOM.
I have Zurich, Chicago and Las Vegas from FSdreamteam. All complex airports. I think you use the same technology.
No problems with these airports. So I wondered why it is with KLAX.
Even if I start with the startingplane in p3D (and in FSX too) or the ultralight the use of memory shoots up to 3.1 Gb.
So, I'm searching for a rare combination of things that happens with KLAX and isn't an issue with other sceneries.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:27:59 pm »
I didn't want to blame Klax for this OOM

I hope so, since KLAX doesn't have anything to do with it...

I have Zurich, Chicago and Las Vegas from FSdreamteam. All complex airports. I think you use the same technology

Not really. KLAX is way better and more modern, although it's also more complex so, what you should expect is better quality and (especially under P3D) better fps at KLAX, a *bit* more memory used, but not nearly as much as you are reporting.

But read below: it's just wrong to compare two airports in very different areas. The only meaningful comparison would be FSDT KLAX against another scenery for KLAX, even the default one, with 0% AI traffic, because default sceneries attract less AI airplanes, so they will appear to "save" memory just because of that.

An usual error, which is easy to do, is to blame an airport because you are "there", assuming that, just because you are there, it "must" be the airport.

But that's not how FSX works. When you are on any airport, all the scenery outside the airport is loaded too, with autogen, terrain, landclass, vector data like coastlines, roads, road traffic, and of course AI. All of this is NOT part of the airport scenery, but it WILL take away from your VAS.

Even if I start with the starting plane in p3D (and in FSX too) or the ultralight the use of memory shoots up to 3.1 Gb.

I already indicated a post with precise measurements of memory occupation at KLAX. This means, your memory consumption is not caused in any way by the airport. Also, it's very strange that you see the same amount both in FSX and P3D, since they are very different in this aspect.

eleuth

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Ehhh, I'm a little bit confused now.
I explained that I wasn't blaiming the KLAX scenery, but are desparately seeking something that could help me solve the problem.
Sorry, but 5 times explaining that it is not the problem of KLAX is a bit confusing. Maybe it is because it is a langues problem.
I think I have to understand that  you can't help me but convincing me that is has nothing to do with Klax.
OK clear.
Nevertheless thanks for your time, I'll try investigating on the web if someone else has such a problem and has some tips
Regards

Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:13 am »
Sorry, but 5 times explaining that it is not the problem of KLAX is a bit confusing. Maybe it is because it is a langues problem.

I don't know how else this could have been interpreted differently. The thread *subject* is "Memory problems with KLAX", and you wrote this:

I never had any memory errors only with KLAX.

I think I have to understand that  you can't help me but convincing me that is has nothing to do with Klax.

Since it was clear from your first post, that you assumed the problem was related to KLAX ( see above ), the first step helping you, is to stop you wasting your time trying to act on it, and THEN I might discuss other generic memory-saving tips unrelated to it, but without forgetting that this is the FSDT forum and you posted in the KLAX section so, you can't expect a support forum of a product would discuss in great lengths issues not related to it.

Now that you said you meant something entirely different, so I can assume all the KLAX references well just generic and you might have referred to any other airport, the usual memory-saving tips are:

- Lower your settings.

- Use DX10.

- Use 2048 or 1024 texture size.

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time.

Any of these is valid so, you have options.

eleuth

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
Umberto

Thanks,
I will try them all

Eric