Author Topic: Couatl misbehavior after FSX exit  (Read 9634 times)

pikalaxalt

Re: Couatl misbehavior after FSX exit
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 11:18:57 pm »
I'm going to try a different approach.  I normally start all my addons (activesky, fsrealtime, vafs5, and vpilot) before starting FSX.  Normally, if ActiveSky downloads an updated module and then tries to load it in while FSX is running, it fails to load the module.  On top of that, Windows becomes extremely sluggish at launching new applications while FSX is running, which is why I've gotten into the habit of launching FSX with all my other addons already running in the background.  Today, I started all my addons after FSX was already running, and this time Couatl exited normally with FSX.  So perhaps the culprit is not which addon, but when.  I will continue to use this approach until I encounter this problem again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:20:34 pm by pikalaxalt »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 12:07:10 am »
So perhaps the culprit is not which addon, but when.  I will continue to use this approach until I encounter this problem again.

We have a confirmed issue with the GoFlight modules. They work together with our modules only if you load them manually after FSX started. So, maybe this is your issue, or another product is behaving the same.

With regard with the GoFlight module, I *think* the main issue is that they compiled using the VS2010 ( or VS2012, not entirely sure ) compiler, so they are getting a dependency on the VC++ 2010/2012 runtimes. But also, as any FSX addon that is also a Simconnect client, they also get a dependency on the VS2005 runtimes, because they brought the Simconnect library too.

This issue is not very well known amongst developers, but according to the very long and complex explanation on this site:

http://siomsystems.com/mixing-visual-studio-versions/

Having dependencies on multiple versions of the VC++ CRT runtimes in the same program IS asking for trouble.

Which is why, all our modules are still compiled using VC++ 2005, so they are only dependent by ONE runtime, the 2005 version, which is the same used by FSX and Simconnect.

The loading order CAN affect this, because the way the (very complex) Windows side-by-side loading system works, it's supposed to TRY to allow multiple versions of the same .DLLs running together in memory, and this will work or not, depending on the loading order of modules.

Not sure if you have the Goflight modules, but perhaps the same issue is valid for other modules too, I see that many developers use different versions of the VC++ libraries quite liberally, without worrying so much of the potential issues when running together.

pikalaxalt

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 01:38:27 pm »
I don't have any GoFlight products, and I have completed another flight where Couatl failed to quit after a normal FSX exit despite waiting until after pressing "FLY NOW" to launch my external addons.

When I get the chance, I will perform some tests where one of the four external addons is not running.  I've excluded VAFS5 as the cause, as the problem exists even when VAFS5 is not used.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:02 pm »
I don't have any GoFlight products, and I have completed another flight where Couatl failed to quit after a normal FSX exit despite waiting until after pressing "FLY NOW" to launch my external addons.

Which is why, I said "Not sure if you have the Goflight modules, but perhaps the same issue is valid for other modules too". You probably have another addon with a similar problem.

and I have completed another flight where Couatl failed to quit after a normal FSX exit despite waiting until after pressing "FLY NOW" to launch my external addons.

Then it means the offending one is one that starts with FSX automatically, it cannot be anything else, since you said yourself that "I did run that test with no external addons and default trike, and got a successful exit". You only need to find one, testing them one by one, and adding them one by one.