Author Topic: Removing files do to low fps on my old computer  (Read 5348 times)

jgoggi

Removing files do to low fps on my old computer
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:43 am »
Good morning,
Since I have an outdated computer and when I taxi I get 7-8 fps, I found that *apparently* the files jfk_hng13mzzi.BGL, jfk_term_4_mzzi.BGL and jfk_term_7_mzzi.BGL, that are quite big in size, don't have any impact and I can remove them. What do they represent, exactly? Is it a good idea to leave them out?
If not, what other files may I remove with no visual impact?
Thank you,
James
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Removing files do to low fps on my old computer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:05 am »
These files contains all the ground vehicles around the terminals, like catering, push back, baggage carts, etc.

It's quite safe to remove them but, since these objects appears only on specific Scenery Complexity levels, you would have the same effect by simply lowering that slider, which impacts also the rest of the scenery, especially the Manhattan area, which is the real fps eater.

Note that, the biggest increase in fps is not reached by dumbing down JFK, since the scenery is already very optimized. The biggest fps impact for this airport doesn't have anything to do with scenery, and are the AI that, since the airports has lot more parking stands than the default, might come in numbers. So, by adjusting the AI settings, you should probably find the biggest effect on fps.

jgoggi

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »
Thanks, Umberto, for your reply. Yes, I already have a very low setting for the AI traffic (about 6-7 aircraft parked at KJFK), but I see that fps decrease when I 'look' towards the terminals, for example the red one close to the rwy 31L (I don't remember what number it is).
It's strange that I have about 7-9 fps when taxiing after a Canarsie approach on 13R, while if I come from east I get about 11-13 fps when taxiing.
But it's not a scenery fault, I know that it is very fluid and it's a miracle you managed to get it like that! It's my Pentium IV-3.2GHz computer with ATI Radeon 9800 128 Mb that is having problems with complex sceneries. JFK is anyway so good that I manage to have 12-14 fps when landing. All these fps are in VC + TrackIR.
James Goggi

B777ER

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:46:27 pm »
I think everyone sees a dip in frames when looking at the terminals...more scenery to display.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:42:08 pm »
I think everyone sees a dip in frames when looking at the terminals...more scenery to display.

That's depending on the system, and on settings. It's not something that is entirely linear, like having double the scenery would equal half the fps. It's more like hitting certain boundaries of total system load and after that, performance usually go down faster.

For example, with a 128MB card, the scenery wouldn't probably fit entirely in VRAM (consider that VRAM it's shared between scenery, default scenery, and AIs), and this has a huge impact in performances, because there's a bottleneck when juggling textures between main RAM and VRAM.

And, we noticed that on FS9, after you reach a certain polygon count, the scenery objects seems to impact fps more than on FSX which seems to be able to (on an capable system, of course) "take more punding" before going down.