Author Topic: Some questions regarding add on manager  (Read 3113 times)

markturner

Some questions regarding add on manager
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:08:49 am »
Hi, I recently installed the demo of flightbeam Kden scenery to my P3d install. I noticed some days later that it had also installed version 3002 of the add on manger and carried out some alterations to my cfg file.  The software GUI seems quite P3d specific, however the tweaks and alterations seem related to FSX rather than P3d. for example, it adds "Highmemfix", which is now considered irrelevant in P3d as it has been included in the code. There are others as well, from what I can glean from a lot of hours of forum reading etc is that many of these tweaks have little or no effect in P3d. I wondered what testing you done and what you had found, as since the add on was installed, my FPS available has increased by about 50%, so, do you guys know something others dont?

I have spent most of my time since migrating to P3d some 5 weeks ago, tweaking and trying to optimize things, much as we all used to do in FSX, so would be curious to discuss the reason for including the tweaks you did and also your recommendations for using them.

Cheers, Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Some questions regarding add on manager
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
I noticed some days later that it had also installed version 3002 of the add on manger and carried out some alterations to my cfg file.

No, it hasn't. This has been discussed many times already on the forum: the Addon Manger doesn't do ANY changes to your .CFG file, unless YOU press the "Save" button.

The settings you see are READ from your existing .CFG file, but no changes are made unless you Save them.

If a fix is not present in the .CFG file (for example, the HIGHMEMFIX), it will appear with a default value but again, nothing is saved unless you press "Save". In that case, the presented setting (if it's not there in the .CFG file) is what WILL be going to be saved, if you press the "Save" button.

for example, it adds "Highmemfix", which is now considered irrelevant in P3d as it has been included in the code.

It just means it will be enabled even if you don't explicitly set it, so you simply don't worry about it anymore in P3D.

There are others as well, from what I can glean from a lot of hours of forum reading etc is that many of these tweaks have little or no effect in P3d.

"Little" is not the same as "no effect". If you WANT to play with them, you can. If you don't, just don't press the SAVE button.

I wondered what testing you done and what you had found, as since the add on was installed, my FPS available has increased by about 50%, so, do you guys know something others dont?

It's not possible that just installing the Addon Manager would get you such dramatic increase. If this was true, we would SELL IT as a stand-alone product, instead of putting a free tweaker inside of it...

What probably happened, is that you had a BAD tweak, possibly with a value outside a reasonable range, and it was reset somehow, perhaps you pressed the "Save" button at least once, so all tweaks outside the normal range were reset to default.

So, rather than having your fps "increased", you simply had it "restored" to a normal value, before the "bad" tweak was added.

I have spent most of my time since migrating to P3d some 5 weeks ago, tweaking and trying to optimize things, much as we all used to do in FSX, so would be curious to discuss the reason for including the tweaks you did and also your recommendations for using them.

The best recommendation in P3D, is not just not tweak anything, reset the .CFG file as default, adjust the settings using only the program default interface, and ALWAYS clean your Shader cache after updating to a new version.

markturner

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
Hi Umberto, thanks for the explanations, it all makes sense. I have another question, sorry, I run a dual boot using win7 as well and when I installed the KDEN demo into my p3d install on that OS, the add on manager does not show up in the drop down menu.....any idea why that may be? rgds

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »
when I installed the KDEN demo into my p3d install on that OS, the add on manager does not show up in the drop down menu.....any idea why that may be?

Most likely, you don't have the VC++ 2013 runtimes installed in that OS install. They are contained and installed automatically in the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer.