Author Topic: FSX Graphics Nightmare!  (Read 6005 times)

Daniel.Burke01

FSX Graphics Nightmare!
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:38 am »
Hello,

I have had GSX and FSDT DFW since their release.  Yesterday, I uninstalled ALL of my FSX Add-ons and FSX, and reinstalled them on my D drive.  Everything was working fine until I reinstalled GSX and FSDT DFW.  I get an awful graphics problem.  Please see the attached pictures.  Everything loads correctly, but when I change views, first I lost scenery, then the next view change, the plane comes on top of the background, nothing looks right.  Things continue to layer or just don't show at all.  I have now installed and uninstalled GSX 3 times, and the result is the same each time.  With NO gsx, everything runs like a dream.  As soon as I install it back and change the view inside FSX, it turns into a graphics mess.  I checked in the add-on manager and both GSX and DFW were showing active or installed and active.  What is going on here?

Thank you,

-Dan Burke-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:15:25 am by virtuali »

Daniel.Burke01

Re: GSX Graphics Nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:19:18 am »
To update:

I just uninstalled while I trouble shoot.  I loaded up FSX, this time with REX (hadn't loaded this yet) and I get the same graphics problem.  Its looking as though any 3rd party add ons that are running externally from FSX but integrated into the program are causing this graphics problem.  Is this because I have FSX on my D drive now? Someone please help!

-Dan Burke-

Martyjr

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:59:29 am »
Dan,

FSX + Svc Pack2 or Acceleration?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:02:23 am by Martyjr »
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

Daniel.Burke01

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:28 am »
FSX srvc pkg 2

Hnla

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:03:51 am »
FSX srvc pkg 2

So.. why is this in the FSDT forum if it has nothing to do with it?

Daniel.Burke01

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:26 am »
Well seeing as how FSDT would understand their product and how it integrates itself within FSX, they might be able to offer some insight on why their product along with others is causing my graphics to go haywire....it is obviously related to their product in some way. What's that harm in adding for their advice? Thank you for your help....

Dan

Martyjr

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Dan,

What was wrong that caused you to "uninstalled ALL of my FSX Add-ons and FSX, and reinstalled them on my D drive"?

Was "D" a new HD you added to your system?
Like maybe a solid state or external HD?

I assume you had all on C drive prior?

Did you "Move or Copy" any files from the C to D drive?

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX Graphics Nightmare!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:20 am »
I have now installed and uninstalled GSX 3 times, and the result is the same each time.  With NO gsx, everything runs like a dream.

Sorry, but it's not possible that GSX could have anything to do with this. Your problem is clearly video memory corruption/exhaustion, and if GSX, just being installed, CANNOT be cause.

The GSX installation doesn't change your FSX settings, except for one: the "Advanced Animations" flag, the installer simply ensure it's being enabled, and that's it. No other changes are made and, more importantly, no changes to your FSX settings are made when uninstalling it, that's why it's not possible the problem would go away just by uninstalling GSX.

In addition to that, GSX doesn't do anything until you call it, and its own code runs entirely outside FSX, and that's why it cannot cause a graphic problem "just" by being installed.

I could understand if you say you have graphic issues AFTER you call a GSX service. Even if this wasn't (of course) a "GSX problem" too, THIS could be possible because, when any 3d objects are being created, if your FSX settings have a problem, or your video card settings have a problem, or if you loaded too many add-ons and/or with too high settings, it IS possible that adding new 3d objects on the active view, can cause graphic issues, which aren't obviously a GSX problem, but rather an indication of a problem you already have with your video/fsx settings/tweaks.

In this case, the first thing to try, is to reset your FSX.CFG to default, by removing it and let FSX rebuild a new one.

Of course, as explained many times already on the forum, if you moved all your FSX installation from a drive to another, it will never work. To correctly move FSX from a drive to another one, the only safe way to do it is to make a real CLEAN uninstall, this way:

- Uninstall ALL your 3rd party add-ons BEFORE uninstalling FSX

- Uninstall the FSX

- Remove the FSX main folder too, to get rid of add-ons without an uninstaller

- Remove the following FSX folders:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX
%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

- Reinstall FSX on the new drive. Add all the service packs.

- Reinstall all your add-ons using the proper installers. Installers do many things, like changing files, create default settings, set registry keys, so you should always run an installer, if there's one.

Keep in mind that, if you are very low on space on the Window drive, you will STILL must free some of it, even after you move FSX on another drive, because both the installers and the products themselves will still use the Windows boot drive, so you must always leave it with an healthy reserve of available space.

I changed the subject to be "FSX graphic nightmare", because this doesn't obviously have anything to do with GSX.

Daniel.Burke01

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:54 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I did the clean install you are talking about in the post. I have over 800 gigs free on this drive and over 50 gigs free on my main C drive. My video card and memory is also fantastic so I know it has nothing to do with this as everything ran fine on the C drive for last 1.5 years I've had this computer. The reason I did switch drives was that with everything installed on the C drive I only had 7 gigs remaining. The only step I missed was deleting the two %appdata folders you mentioned when I uninstalled and reinstalled EVERYTHING. Maybe that will fix my problem as it's the ONLY thing i didn't do before reinstalling everything to a new drive. Thank you for your response! I very much appreciate your help!

Dan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »
My video card and memory is also fantastic so I know it has nothing to do with this

Yes, it has everything to do with this, your screenshot is the proof of that. The card itself is not the problem, the problem are your settings or tweaks, either in the FSX.CFG or in the video driver control panel.

As I've said, try to remove the FSX.CFG and let FSX rebuild a new one. In the tweaks, use only the HIGHMEMFIX.

If that doesn't work, try to uninstall your video drivers using a DRIVER CLEANER program, like this one:

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

then reinstall them normally.

Daniel.Burke01

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »
Well,

I uninstalled everything again.  Back to a clean slate.  I made sure those folders were deleted, which they were with the uninstallation.  I reinstalled, and this time, I remembered I needed to open FSX after installing SP1 then close, then install SP2, then open and close FSX.  I forgot to do this the first time around.  I think this created inconsistencies in FSX and the 3rd party add-ons.  This is the ONLY thing I did differently, and everything seems to be running smooth as glass now.  I REALLY do appreciate all of your help here! Thank you for your great products and your continued support of your customer base!  It is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
-Dan Burke-