Author Topic: Ground Texture Problems at JFK and others  (Read 5606 times)

DLH457

Ground Texture Problems at JFK and others
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »
I am having problems at JFK, Aerosoft Heathrow Extended and Imaginesim VHHH. The textures will be very blurry in some areas and completely fine in others. I think there is an error in the elevation or something because when I am taxiing in the PMDG 777 when I travel onto the clear textures from the blurry ones I hear a big thump. The wheels will be completely submerged in the ground sometimes. Here are pics. I really need help on this.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ground Texture Problems at JFK and others
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »
Yes, that looks like a problem caused by a 3rd party mesh. You only need to disable any of such products in the Scenery Library, one by one, until you find the offending one.

DLH457

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »
Yes, that looks like a problem caused by a 3rd party mesh. You only need to disable any of such products in the Scenery Library, one by one, until you find the offending one.
Good advice, except I have absolutely no 3rd party meshes whatsoever. My scenery config now consists of only JFK, AES Basepack and Aerosoft AFD along with the default FSX sceneries and terrain like Reno, Istanbul and Rio de Janeiro. It still looks exactly like the pictures. I have antrioscopic filtering selected in FSX. I dont know what else could be behind it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:53:29 pm »
Good advice, except I have absolutely no 3rd party meshes whatsoever.

Sure you have them. You just don't know where too look for them. Your screenshots clearly indicates mesh terrain popping out.

My scenery config now consists of only JFK, AES Basepack and Aerosoft AFD along with the default FSX sceneries and terrain like Reno, Istanbul and Rio de Janeiro.

That means the offending mesh is probably located in one of these folders, maybe the default ones.

It still looks exactly like the pictures. I have anisotropic filtering selected in FSX.

Your problem is not a texture issue, your problem is mesh terrain from a mesh scenery conflicting with the airport textures. Of course, I assume your Mesh Complexity and Resolution settings are reasonable. You can see that effect if they are too low, for example. We usually suggest Complexity at 100 and Resolution at 5 meters/pixel.

DLH457

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:51:40 am »
I have adjusted my mesh resolution to 5m and my complexity is at 100. I deleted the AES Basepack and AFD. Should I just do a clean install? It was working fine 3 weeks ago. I ran the FST Scenery tool which supposedly fixes a troublesome scenery.cfg. Is there anything else I should try before going for a reinstall?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:58:56 am »
I have adjusted my mesh resolution to 5m and my complexity is at 100. I deleted the AES Basepack and AFD.

Again, you are trying to fix it in the fast way, by disabling or removing whole areas of what can be undoubtedly identified as a 3rd party product. But if something has placed a .BGL containing a mesh in one of the default folders, you must hunt that specific .BGL.

Should I just do a clean install?

It's either that, or the search for the stray .BGL. Or perhaps a *missing* .BGL from a default install, that a clean install will surely fix.

.I ran the FST Scenery tool which supposedly fixes a troublesome scenery.cfg. Is there anything else I should try before going for a reinstall

No idea what that tool is, but if it just fixes a scenery.cfg with errors, it won't help with a conflicting or missing .BGL so, unless you know how to find it, a clean reinstall might be your only option.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing like the free FSX Airport Scanner tool (that helps finding conflicting AFCADs) for meshes.

DLH457

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:06 pm »
OK uninstalling FSX then. Will report once I get back up and running.