Author Topic: GSX binging about parking brake after last update  (Read 17364 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX binging about parking brake after last update
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
At times just installing the update causes failures, particularly with FS running as is appropriate with almost any program.  Even though it says it will over write and no need to shut down, with scenery updates it's always best to do a full install.

You are confusing Minor Updates with Major Updates. Minor Updates ARE 100% safe to apply while FSX is running, this is a fact.

THIS one we just released, it's NOT a Minor Update, it's a Major Updated, which CANNOT be applied while FSX is running, the Live Update doesn't even let you the option to do that. It tells to quit from FSX and download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

But there's an additional difference. THIS latest update ALSO require to update the vehicles IN ADDITION to the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, and this information is in the update release notes, it was on the email we sent about the update, and it's also on the forum thread of the update announcement.

However, if one fails to read that, or simply forget to install the vehicles, he'll have troubles like missing vehicles or such.

In THIS case, the full installer will surely fix everything.

But it's wrong to suggest to "always" use the Full installer, just because someone might have forgot to read the instructions about THIS specific update, which was made in 2-steps, both to be done with FSX CLOSED (and there's no way you could not do it this way), and it's wrong to suggest a Minor Update might be "unreliable", just because it doesn't require to restart FSX, because it's not.

Sceneries DO require an FSX restart, but it's wrong to assume that, just because it's best to restart FSX to update a scenery, it would be automatically the same for an update of the GSX code, because they are entirely different, with the main difference that, FSX itself, doesn't know ANYTHING of the GSX code, because it's a file that has a meaning only for Couatl.exe.

A Minor Update, the one that can be applied without restarting FSX, downloads ONLY Python code that runs under the Couatl.exe interpreter, which is a *separate* .exe, so it doesn't make any difference if FSX is running or not, and it's totally safe to restart Couatl.exe when FSX is running, to the point that we even have a menu option to do just that which can be called at any time, and that's what the Minor Update does, at the end of the installation.

Artur

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 05:26:08 pm »
This was happend to me also after the update, with the Airbus X A320. It was like GSX doesn't recognize the wheel chocks, and I have to push parking brake even if the weel chocks was not removed. BUT... I download the full installer,then uninstall GSX, and install all from begining, and by the miracle the message has gone. Everything works perfect, airbus X, pmdg 737 ngx, default plane, no message. And I know it's a pain in the ass, but I allways restart the computer after I install an add-on even if isn't necessary, because in this way I am shure that all from cache is removed, specially if I uninstall same software first. Rebot every time the pc. I've seen problems with modifieng simple file like Aircraft.cfg like adding a line and working just in case after restarting the pc. For someone works, for someone doesn't. There are dozen of Windows version and not all the computer works the same way. But of course, I am talking just IMO. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 06:50:18 pm »
This was happend to me also after the update, with the Airbus X A320. It was like GSX doesn't recognize the wheel chocks, and I have to push parking brake even if the weel chocks was not removed. BUT... I download the full installer,then uninstall GSX, and install all from begining, and by the miracle the message has gone.

This doesn't have anything to do with the update. There WAS a bug, which we solved, and we have updated the files belonging to the GSX code and this SAME files are downloaded, regardless if you apply a Minor Update while FSX is running OR if you reinstalled the full installer.

What likely happened, is that you have applied the Live Update just before we uploaded the bug-fixed version, so you got the bugged version, then in the time it took to download the full installer, uninstall GSX and reinstall it, we updated the files so you got the bug-free version, so you were mislead thinking the Update had a problem.

And I know it's a pain in the ass, but I allways restart the computer after I install an add-on even if isn't necessary, because in this way I am shure that all from cache is removed, specially if I uninstall same software first. Rebot every time the pc. I've seen problems with modifieng simple file like Aircraft.cfg

This doesn't apply to the files belonging to a GSX Minor update.

As I've said, you might have a point, if are discussing files that BELONGS to FSX and ARE used by FSX. An FSX restart and sometimes a Windows restart might be needed, but not all files that belongs to Couatl, which are the only one updated during a Minor Update, and Couatl can be restarted at any time, and it will use the updated files. FSX won't even notice this.

Artur

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 07:42:18 am »
My point was that depends of many factors the install of add-ons on FSX. For ex. I have FSX installed in C/FSX and not on C/program files x86. Many user don't follow this simple rule even if is strongly recomanded by major software like REX or PMDG or Aerosoft, and I think you agree with this also.
It  was a specific case when PMDG releas his 747 and some users has the black gauges on cockpit. The solution was to add a line on aircraft.cfg, for some works but for somone else works only if they has to reboot the pc. What I wanna tell is that not all the configuration are the same, even with minor or major bug with the release of new versions not allways the installation can go to a good end.
FSX is a simulation that was made many years ago and Microsoft didn't offer any support after (but you know this better then me), so sometimes is very hard to find the problems even if they are more easy or hard to resolve. I has told what happend to me in my case, and was a coincidence why I have downloaded the full installer, because was seems to me that not all the vehicles where updated, that's way. What remains is that for me is now all function perfect with GSX. I didn't say that this is a solution for everybody, and didn't say that was something wrong with the update or something else from GSX. Just wanna say that sometimes is very hard to identify the problems, because I thing that in 90% of case the problems comes from us, and not from software house. You are professionist in you're job and when you make a software you test and work for you because you respect some basic rules, wich many of us doesn't even have the idea that exist.   :D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:28 am »
My point was that depends of many factors the install of add-ons on FSX. For ex. I have FSX installed in C/FSX and not on C/program files x86. Many user don't follow this simple rule even if is strongly recomanded by major software like REX or PMDG or Aerosoft, and I think you agree with this also.

Again, this is entirely unrelated TO US.

Those software developers tells you this, because what you need to update, is some file USED BY FSX, like the aircraft.cfg, the scenery.cfg, some scenery textures, , or anything else that FSX MIGHT USE.

As I've said, this DOES NOT apply to our Minor Update, that updates ONLY things that FSX DOESN'T USE

It  was a specific case when PMDG releas his 747 and some users has the black gauges on cockpit. The solution was to add a line on aircraft.cfg, for some works but for somone else works only if they has to reboot the pc.

That confirms what I've said: the aircraft.cfg IS a file read by FSX, so it might require an FSX restart.

I told you why what you were experienced happened: you were just caught in the middle of our own upload and, because the time it took to restart your system got you the right version, so you are now convinced the Live Update somehow failed because "FSX was running" or "I should restart".

Artur

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 12:59:57 pm »
Wrong. I am not convince of this, I was only telling what happend to me. And thank you, I understand very well, no need to explain every time.

Again: "I didn't say that this is a solution for everybody, and didn't say that was something wrong with the update or something else from GSX" and I NEVER said that the live update somehow failed for me. Live update finished ok and I repeat the only reason for I have downloaded the full installer is that I have the "sensation" that the vehicles didn't update (maybe you didn't read in previous my post).
As a matter a fact, I don't have any problem with GSX, so IMO I am doing the things right, I don't want to  give a solution in this case, far away from me, because it's not my problem and I'm not even capable of this. Anyway tnx , I don't wanna waiste you more precious time.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:12:09 pm by Artur »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:39 am »
Wrong.

"Wrong" what ?? What I've said is the fact, it's not really opened to negotiations or opinions. You used the "other developers" suggestions as some kind of evidence, but I told you precisely why this might be valid in some cases, but doesn't apply to THIS specific case, the Minor Live Update.

The Major Update, which is what we had with GSX 1.9, it's not even under discussion here, because that one TELLS YOU to Exit from FSX, because that one DOES update stuff that is USED BY FSX. But NOT the vehicles...

I NEVER said that the live update somehow failed for me. Live update finished ok

And again, I NEVER said you said this...Live Update finished ok, but it's NOT supposed to update vehicles. We wouldn't tell "download the vehicles update installers" in the release notes and in the forum announcement thread, if the Live Update was supposed to handle the whole update on its own.

That's the reason why, since some might find "complex" having to apply 2 separate updates, we also say that the FULL GSX installer would work fine too.

and I repeat the only reason for I have downloaded the full installer is that I have the "sensation" that the vehicles didn't update (maybe you didn't read in previous my post).

And that's NORMAL.

The Live Update is NOT supposed to update vehicles. How else you think we said to apply the MAJOR Update AND download and install the Vehicle update too ? Because the Live Update WON'T update the vehicles!

As a matter a fact, I don't have any problem with GSX, so IMO I am doing the things right, I don't want to  give a solution in this case, far away from me, because it's not my problem and I'm not even capable of this.

And that's why I have clarified the issue, because you suggested that a Live Update that doesn't restart FSX might not work, which is factually wrong, and I don't want to have anyone using the program in the wrong way, because it read a "post on FSDT site saying so"

1) The MINOR Update IS 100% safe to apply without restarting FSX.

2) The "Brakes" bug fix CAN be fixed with a Minor Updated, but if it didnt' work FOR YOU, but worked after a full reinstall, it was JUST because when you ran the Minor Update, the bug-fixed version was not up yet. By the time you restarted FSX and downloaded and installed the full installer, it was, so you were mislead thinking the problem (even in YOUR case) had something to do with the fact you applied an update without restarting, which wasn't the case.

Is a bit complicated to explain, because the method the Live Update uses to understand if YOU need an Update, it's linked between the time on your system and the time on the online update server, and there are two servers running in parallel located in two different countries and time zones, so it IS perfectly possible that you might just got in the middle of an update, and still got the previous version, while someone else (or even you, if you tried again later with the same procedure) would get the new one.

I won't even try to mention the fact we are running an anti-spam and anti-DDOS service in the middle, so the server you are contacting is not even the same we are *really* running on, but there's a network of worldwide servers that will proxy your files, depending on your location, and will prevent service interruption in case a server might go down.

Please, you have to trust this: if I gave you that explanation, it's because IT'S POSSIBLE to happen, but please stop hinting something wrong happened to you *because* you haven't restarted FSX.

3) What we had with the 1.9 update was a MAJOR UPDATE instead. This one CANNOT be applied without exiting from FSX, the program won't even let you do that.

4) What we had with the 1.9 update wasn't JUST a MAJOR UPDATE, it was a MAJOR UPDATE + VEHICLES UPDATE. You cannot have the program working correctly if you don't do BOTH.

5) If you find this cumbersome and difficult to understand, you don't HAVE to do it. Just download and install the latest Full installer, and be done with it. Someone that does NOT find this difficult, might still appreciate the OPTION to do it with a smaller download, since there IS a choice.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:22:08 am by virtuali »