Author Topic: ACONTAIN.DLL when accessing GSX menu  (Read 4980 times)

AviatorBimmer

ACONTAIN.DLL when accessing GSX menu
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:38:53 pm »
This is the second time I have had a CTD while using Prepar3D 2.4 and GSX (with latest live update installed). As soon as I land and have vacated the runway, I press CTRL-F12 to access the GSX menu, so I can request a gate. As soon as I do so, Prepar3D crashes and when I view the Windows Event Viewer, it shows ACONTAIN.DLL as the faulting module.

The latest CTD happened just now after landing at KRIC (default scenery). I landed on RWY34 and exited on taxiway Charlie.

Can anyone help me with this?

AviatorBimmer

Re: ACONTAIN.DLL when accessing GSX menu
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »
I just got another error and this time after landing at KJFK. As soon as I press CTRL-F12, P3D crashes to desktop.  >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:12 pm »
The crash into ACONTAIN.DLL hasn't been reported by anyone before. Do you still have the same .DLL crashing in your 2nd attempt at JFK ?

Note that, this might not have anything to do with GSX, could be you have another add-on using CTRL+F12 ? There are more than one that use that key combination, that's why GSX allows to customize it.

AviatorBimmer

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »
The crash into ACONTAIN.DLL hasn't been reported by anyone before. Do you still have the same .DLL crashing in your 2nd attempt at JFK ?

Note that, this might not have anything to do with GSX, could be you have another add-on using CTRL+F12 ? There are more than one that use that key combination, that's why GSX allows to customize it.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9500.0

The thread above is what got me thinking that GSX could have anything to do with it. I have no other addon installed that uses the CTRL-F12 combination. FWIW, prior to getting this error, I installed the ICE AI Traffic package. After installing this in P3D with the Estonian Migration Tool, I proceeded to rename the trafficAircraft.bgl file to trafficAircraft.bgl.ORIGINAL, so that the default AI would not show up with the new ICE AI traffic.

I did a quick test and the new AI traffic was showing up as expected and I proceeded to do the flight, which ended up with the ACONTAIN.DLL error when I pressed CTRL-F12 after landing.

After the second time I got the error, I uninstalled ICE AI Traffic and renamed trafficAircraft.bgl.ORIGINAL to trafficAircraft.bgl, did a flight and low and behold, now I did NOT get the ACONTAIN.DLL error after landing and pressing CTRL-F12.

I am going to re-install ICE AI Traffic and see if I can reproduce the error once again. If it does CTD again, then I know for certain it's the AI package that's causing a problem when activating GSX after landing.

Or could the issue be that I renamed the trafficAircraft.bgl and GSX needs that file?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »
After installing this in P3D with the Estonian Migration Tool, I proceeded to rename the trafficAircraft.bgl file to trafficAircraft.bgl.ORIGINAL, so that the default AI would not show up with the new ICE AI traffic.

After the second time I got the error, I uninstalled ICE AI Traffic and renamed trafficAircraft.bgl.ORIGINAL to trafficAircraft.bgl, did a flight and low and behold, now I did NOT get the ACONTAIN.DLL error after landing and pressing CTRL-F12.

That thread discussed the same .DLL but, if you read it to its completion, it didn't had anything to do with GSX, both because the poster said he had the crash as soon as he went near KDFW (without activating GSX), but also because that error was a KDFW-specific bug, an object name was mis-typed, and while in FSX this is mostly harmless, in P3D it causes a crash.

From your description of the problem, it's only happening AFTER you press CTRL+F12, so it doesn't have anything to do with the above thread, even if the crash "looks" the same.

As I've said in that thread, there's only ONE place where GSX interacts with ACONTAIN.DLL, and it's the feature that removes static ground vehicles near the parking when you select a parking to be used by GSX. Now, this would happen only AFTER you select some kind of GSX operation, like Boarding, Follow Me, etc. NOT "just" by pressing CTRL+F12. If you only press CTRL+F12, there's no interaction between GSX and that .DLL YET.

So, it's really happening *immediately* after you press CTRL+F12, or you are able to select a GSX operation and THEN you get the crash ?

I am going to re-install ICE AI Traffic and see if I can reproduce the error once again. If it does CTD again, then I know for certain it's the AI package that's causing a problem when activating GSX after landing.

Same as with the KDFW bug, where a mis-typed Simobject name caused such crash, it's possible the crash is JUST caused by a similarly mis-typed Simobject that is used as an AI of that package. This won't be noticeable in FSX, the AI would simply not appear, but it causes a crash in P3D.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:46:46 pm by virtuali »

AviatorBimmer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Yes, the error occurs PRIOR to selecting anything from the GSX menu. As soon as I press CTRL-F12, P3D crashes and the GSX menu never appears. Seems like it could be a mismatch in the SimObjects as you mentioned, for the AI package.

What kind of mistype are we talking about? What should I look for?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:12:31 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »

In that specific case, the model.cfg of an object, which references to an .MDL, had the name wrong, so you might have to check each model folder for each AI from that set you have installed, and be sure the name referenced in model.cfg matches the name of the .MDL file.

AviatorBimmer

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:05 pm »

In that specific case, the model.cfg of an object, which references to an .MDL, had the name wrong, so you might have to check each model folder for each AI from that set you have installed, and be sure the name referenced in model.cfg matches the name of the .MDL file.

Ouch, that is an undertaking! lol I will first try and see if I can reproduce the error again, if yes, then I will go through each aircraft and search for any mistypes.