Author Topic: FSX JFK V2 Lighting  (Read 6737 times)

Jimboi

FSX JFK V2 Lighting
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:23:02 am »
Morning,

Please see screnshots - The airport lights appear to be blurry, I am not sure if it is quite normal, so therefore would welcome your support. I have the latest version installed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:44:54 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX JFK V2 Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:44:21 am »
Morning,

Please see screnshots - The airport lights appear to be blurry, I am not sure if it is quite normal, so therefore would welcome your support.

You already sent the same identical email. Please don't post twice the same message on two different medium, because it will needlessly result in more support effort, and not a better chance to be replied to.

It seems you have installed some kind of 3rd party replacement texture for effects.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:46:23 am by virtuali »

Jimboi

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:01 pm »

Ok thanks, I have Rex textures, and the following installed.

.uk2000 egcc
.pmdg 777
Europe Ultimate terrain
.rex textures
.flytampa omdb
.fdst JFK ord

Any ideas please on how to narrow it down and what I could experiment with.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
I don't know much about the other products, is REX replacing the effects textures ?

Jimboi

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »

I will check it when I go home, used REX in the past both fs9 and FSX and never had this problem with any other add ons, but anyway I will check it out and report back, those screenshot settings of the add on manager I attached does anything look out of the ordinary from that ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:12:21 am »
those screenshot settings of the add on manager I attached does anything look out of the ordinary from that ?

It's not a matter of settings, your lights have changed their textures (different colors), which means they have been replaced by some 3rd party add-on that has replaced some of the effects textures.

Jimboi

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »

I have looked at REX and cannot find anything that I know of the is interfering, I have uninstalled JFK and re installed but again the same problem.

Really not sure which 3rd party add on is causing the textures not to display correctly, appreciate any more offers of help

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »
I have looked at REX and cannot find anything that I know of the is interfering

If it has replaced some default textures, that explains why they changed colors, and they surely have. Maybe it wasn't REX, but something else you installed long ago.

I have uninstalled JFK and re installed but again the same problem.

If the 3rd party product that has replaced a default effects textures that is used by JFK (and probably by other sceneries too), reinstalling JFK won't change anything, because it's not something that is part of JFK installation.

Really not sure which 3rd party add on is causing the textures not to display correctly, appreciate any more offers of help

I don't have any more clues than you, nor I can possibly know everything that you installed but, as I've said, the issue is caused by some files or textures that has been replaced in the DEFAULT FSX\Effects folders, either by another add-on installer, or you might have installed it manually long ago and forgot about it.

The problem is not a JFK problem, if something replaces a default Effects file, ALL your sceneries (both default and 3rd party) that calls for it, will be affected as well.

Jimboi

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »

So I guess the only option would be a complete fresh install of FSX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:14 pm »
So I guess the only option would be a complete fresh install of FSX

You might have some clue by looking at the dates of the files in the Effects folder and the Effects\texture folder, the original ones from FSX all have dates from 2006. The ones that comes with 3rd party products usually have obvious names related to their developer so, you should probably be suspicious of files that don't clearly relate to any 3rd party product, but have dates more recent than 2006.

Some of the effects files that comes with JFK use the default FSX\Effects\texture\fx_2.bmp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:49:14 pm by virtuali »

Jimboi

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 11:34:27 pm »

That's excellent, it was one of the files in the effects folder as described, now everything is working nicely, thank you for the effort and advice it saved me from doing to dreaded re install of FSX