Author Topic: CTD  (Read 53744 times)

JamesChams

Re: CTD
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »
Grazie!

... I will try and let you know!  :D
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:31 am »
Virtuali,

OK; This is a REPORT of the existing installation of KJFK v1.0/XPOI v1.0.6 on VISTA 64-bit.  I'm ONLY trying to resolve this for myself and other users in your installer which, is why I'm posting this.

1. REINSTALLED KJFK for FSX again today 10:07PM EST (10/19/2008) after RE-DOWNLOADING the installer.

I. EXE.XML file before the KJFK re-installation performed above.  I left the previous installation of KJFK
       just to see how this will/should work (ie. I just re installed over the old setup).

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
     <Name>AICarriers</Name><Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>
     <CommandLine>-nogui</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

II.  EXE.XML after above KJFK installation performed.

<Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

YOU CAN SEE THAT THE STATEMENTS FOR AI CARRIERS ARE MISSING IN THE NEW EXE.DLL FILE.  Can you fix your next version of the installer to check/correct for this?

2. So, I manually re-added the AICarrier Statements into the EXE.XML again and tried this test again with the new XPOI v1.0.6 installation today at 10:27PM EST (10/19/2008).

I. EXE.XML file before the XPOI installation performed above after I re-inserted AICarriers statements
       manually using Notepad and saving the file. 

<Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
     <Name>AICarriers</Name><Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>
     <CommandLine>-nogui</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

II.  EXE.XML after above XPOI installation performed.

<Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

SO, THIS IS DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that this happens consistently;  Now does it happen to your installation of AICarriers or other statement?  Can you fix your installers to resolve this in the next version(s) of XPOI as well as KJFK?

I've now had to resolve this each time by manually adding the AICarrier statements back into the file and saving it ...   :'( :(

3.  Next, You are using an OLDER (177.98) Nvidia Graphic Driver; this is the latest version for 32-bit driver (below) and I'm using the 64-bit version so, there might be differences.  ???  Would you be willing to test KJFK with this 32-bit version on your systems to see if you have the same results with the MISSING TAXIWAY SIGNS and "Exit FSX from the Flight CTD" ?

GeForce Release 178 WHQL
Version: 178.24
Release Date: October 15, 2008
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 85 MB

Nvidia Driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_178.24_whql.html

4. I'll test the Display setting configurations, you've provided, with the new file you've given me, and see if I get everything working again with the "Missing Taxiway Signs" and "EXIT FS from the Flight CTD".  But this is all I have to report at this time.

Finally, Please lets not debate these issues anymore; This is just my report; maybe no one else has this but, I get it on all 3 systems; so, to me, this is a FACT.  Would you kindly re-check your systems, if time permits?

Thank you for your time and attention.
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:13 am »
YOU CAN SEE THAT THE STATEMENTS FOR AI CARRIERS ARE MISSING IN THE NEW EXE.DLL FILE.  Can you fix your next version of the installer to check/correct for this?

Sorry, but this is not what happened.

I've tested it with the EXE.XML files YOU sent me some days ago and, the EXE.XML created by AICarriers, the one that YOU named "EXE.XML before JFK", didn't included the XML header! The first line that specifies the version and the encoding.

THIS, and ONLY THIS was the problem and, of course, wasn't caused by our installer. If the XML HAD a correct header, it WORKED with AICarriers installer as well

SO, THIS IS DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that this happens consistently;  Now does it happen to your installation of AICarriers or other statement?  Can you fix your installers to resolve this in the next version(s) of XPOI as well as KJFK?

No, it's not the "definitive evidence", because it didn't happened here. NOT with the files as you posted NOW (which have an header, unless you manuall fix it yourself before posting it). What DID happen, exactly as I've said before and in all previous messages, is that, if the XML was ALREADY WRONG ( = missing the header, in this case), it was considered to be corrupted and replaced with a new one.

So, as usual, the installer has now been improved AGAIN to cover ANOTHER case of ANOTHER product which creates a wrong XML file. Our installer is becoming more and more a "fixer" for other product's fault because NOW, is able to:

1) Fix the Unix-style EOL created by Wilco

2) Fix the missing EOL created by AICarriers

3) Fix the XML with a missing XML header

I think we might consider selling the installer as a stand-alone product, considering all the fixing it's now able to do, to repear damaged XML files...

BOTH installers, for JFK and XPOI are NOW "fixed", since this morning, being now able to repeair even this new kind of already existing corruptions.

3.  Next, You are using an OLDER (177.98) Nvidia Graphic Driver; this is the latest version for 32-bit driver (below) and I'm using the 64-bit version so, there might be differences.  ???

It might older, but it works.

Would you be willing to test KJFK with this 32-bit version on your systems to see if you have the same results with the MISSING TAXIWAY SIGNS and "Exit FSX from the Flight CTD" ?

Yes, but I'm sure it will work, because I upgraded all the WHQL drivers that were released during the 5 months JFK was in developement and, of course, never had such behaviour. Kappa, which made all the textures, use Vista 64 and GTX8800, he doesn't have it either...

Finally, Please lets not debate these issues anymore; This is just my report; maybe no one else has this but, I get it on all 3 systems; so, to me, this is a FACT.

I'm sorry, but as long as I can't reproduce it, the only way I have to understand if there's a problem in the scenery, is to see if anyone else has reported it. And, nobody else has, and THIS is a fact as well, which is of course more statistically relevant, because we had something like 30.000 downloads of JFK so far...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:21:44 am by virtuali »

JamesChams

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:49 pm »
YOU CAN SEE THAT THE STATEMENTS FOR AI CARRIERS ARE MISSING...

So, as usual, the installer has now been improved AGAIN to cover ANOTHER case of ANOTHER product which creates a wrong XML file. Our installer is becoming more and more a "fixer" for other product's fault because NOW, is able to:

1) Fix the Unix-style EOL created by Wilco

2) Fix the missing EOL created by AICarriers

3) Fix the XML with a missing XML header

I think we might consider selling the installer as a stand-alone product, considering all the fixing it's now able to do, to repear damaged XML files...

BOTH installers, for JFK and XPOI are NOW "fixed", since this morning, being now able to repeair even this new kind of already existing corruptions.

Grazie Virtuali/Staff!   ;D  That's why you're the best ...  :D  That's why I've bought all your products; and many of the one's you've done for other developers too; and will continue to do so.  :)

Would you be willing to test KJFK with this 32-bit version on your systems to see if you have the same results with the MISSING TAXIWAY SIGNS and "Exit FSX from the Flight CTD" ?

Yes, but I'm sure it will work, because I upgraded all the WHQL drivers that were released during the 5 months JFK was in developement and, of course, never had such behaviour. Kappa, which made all the textures, use Vista 64 and GTX8800, he doesn't have it either...

I'm still testing this but all I can say right now is that both your settings and mine work;  There is an overheating issue that I discovered with my watercooled 8800GTX's which I must remedy first; this is most likely the cause of the CTD's when at KJFK because that scenery taxes the hardware a little.  But the issue with the taxiway signs is something else which I don't know all the answers for; I'll get back to you with that.

All the best with all the sceneries/utilities/add-on's your coming out with.  :D 8)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2008, 10:33:28 pm »

Virtuali,

Did you/staff upload this new installer to the download links?  (Because I redownloaded and installed them yesterday and they are still the *original files* with the same original problem).

If you can find the time ...  ;)

Grazie!

PS: Just bought XPOI today and like it.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:37:11 pm by virtuali »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 10:39:26 pm »
I confirm both XPOI and JFK installers that are online now, are able to fix the missing XML header bug caused by AICarriers, tried and tested, with the XML files you sent me.

JamesChams

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 11:06:07 pm »
I confirm both XPOI and JFK installers that are online now, are able to fix the missing XML header bug caused by AICarriers, tried and tested, with the XML files you sent me.

OK; Thank you.  I'll redownload and give you confirmation.  ;)

Also, I did notice something you mentioned before;  If I load a flight and leave the sim alone with the aircraft on a parking spot (Windowed Mode) and unattended it does CTD; What might cause that? ???

I, also, do have a liquid cooling issue as I've added a few items to the system which are draining power and overheating the system and causing lockup's; I'll resolve this on my own; but the CTD for KJFK's "EXIT the flight from the Sim" is all that remains and the above mentioned CTD.  :-\ :'(

If you can suggest something; I would appreciate it.

Grazie!
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2008, 11:12:40 pm »
Also, I did notice something you mentioned before;  If I load a flight and leave the sim alone with the aircraft on a parking spot (Windowed Mode) and unattended it does CTD; What might cause that? ???

Doesn't happen here. And doesn't happen to anyone else.

I, also, do have a liquid cooling issue as I've added a few items to the system which are draining power and overheating the system and causing lockup's; I'll resolve this on my own; but the CTD for KJFK's "EXIT the flight from the Sim" is all that remains and the above mentioned CTD.

As I've said, many times already, it doesn't happen here, and nobody reported it so far except you. The fact that you are saying you have hardware issues, might lead to believe (I was sure of this already, but this only confirms it), it's nothing related to JFK scenery, except that the scenery is simply quite complex and might put some extra stress on a system that, if already has some issues like overheating to begin with, it might cause crashes. Of course, that shouldn't happen on a normal system and, in fact, it doesn't happen.

JamesChams

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2008, 11:25:20 pm »
I would fully except that, except for the fact, that it happens on the other two that I've got which DON'T have water cooling systems or overheating issues; So there is something else which is still escaping me.  :-\

And yes I know you can't reproduce it ... let's not debate that anymore.  ;)
If you can do/say something to help, it would be much appreciated.  :)

Grazie!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:27:53 am by virtuali »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:19 pm »
Virtuali,

OK; I just downloaded and re-tried KJFK v1.0 installer and got the same result as mentioned earlier with the installer overwriting the previous EXE.XML file  >:(  ; You might want to try again with these files.  ::) 

Attached:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:51 am »
I just downloaded and re-tried KJFK v1.0 installer and got the same result as mentioned earlier with the installer overwriting the previous EXE.XML file  >:(  ; You might want to try again with these files.

First, the files you sent me now are NOT the same files you sent me earlier. They are clearly hand modified, because I don't think the AI Carriers installer now uses newlines on each line *except* the one with the <Path> statement, look the line here:

There are two tags (<Name> and <Path>) on the same line, which is different from the file you sent me a couple of days ago, that didn't had ANY newline, on any line.

Are you trying to manually modify the XML in all possibly foul ways, in order to trick our installer on purpose ????

HOWEVER, I've just check the current JFK installer I have, which is 138.645.024 bytes long and dated Oct. 20th, which is exactly the same version is online now, and it DOES'T do what you are saying, by running it over your EXE.ORG_XML renamed to EXE.XML first, results in a perfectly good XML, with AICarriers in, no "overwriting" and it even fixed the missing newline between <Name> and <Path> you put in there...

JamesChams

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2008, 12:58:47 am »
Are you trying to manually modify the XML in all possibly foul ways, in order to trick our installer on purpose ????

NO; What I did after installing the KJFK/XPOI, I manually had to input the AICarriers text and it was at that time that I used the same format you had just for my ability to read it and ensure that the module would load in FSX for me.  Now, when I went to reinstall; It was *MY* modified file and so didn't work.  I wasn't trying to trick your installer; but at least you know now that If a user had done this, as I did, he/she too would have *LOST* the AICarriers statements; I'm glad I backed it up. ;)

HOWEVER, I've just check the current JFK installer I have, which is 138.645.024 bytes long and dated Oct. 20th, which is exactly the same version is online now, and it DOES'T do what you are saying, by running it over your EXE.ORG_XML renamed to EXE.XML first, results in a perfectly good XML, with AICarriers in, no "overwriting" and it even fixed the missing newline between <Name> and <Path> you put in there...

Grazie!

I guess I'll try it again; You will also have to do this to XPOI's installer because it does the same thing too. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:00:30 am by JamesChams »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2008, 01:08:38 am »
but at least you know now that If a user had done this, as I did, he/she too would have *LOST* the AICarriers statements;

No, because, as I've said, the installer is able to deal even with that gotcha in the file.

I guess I'll try it again; You will also have to do this to XPOI's installer because it does the same thing too.

It does not. Tried with that one as well, and tried even by re-downloading from the website, just to be sure the correct version was up.

JamesChams

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2008, 01:21:05 am »
Virtuali,

OK; Great - I want these Installers to be the one's I use and back up to DVD for future re-installs ...
I might have to do that if my FSX is unrecoverable from these nasty CTD's.   :(

Thanks a bunch.  :D
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2008, 08:53:38 am »
but at least you know now that If a user had done this, as I did, he/she too would have *LOST* the AICarriers statements;

No, because, as I've said, the installer is able to deal even with that gotcha in the file.

I guess I'll try it again; You will also have to do this to XPOI's installer because it does the same thing too.

It does not. Tried with that one as well, and tried even by re-downloading from the website, just to be sure the correct version was up.

Virtuali,

I hate to use your own words but ''It doesn't happen here!''   :-\
1. I tried re-downloading/re-installing KJFK/XPOI  5 times just to make sure that I didn't miss the correct upload by you and NONE of the installers are able to resolve the above problem HERE.

2.  Got the water cooling issue worked out but still CTD form KJFK ONLY on all 3 machines -

1. LABTOP: VISTA 32 with FSX Acceleration (NOTHING ELSE) + KJFK.
2. MINI-TOWER: VISTA 64 with FSX SP2 (NOTHING ELSE) + KJFK.
3. FLIGHT SYSTEM: VISTA 64 with FSX Acceleration (EVERYTHING ELSE) + KJFK. (ONLY SYSTEM with WATER COOLING)

ALL CTD with KJFK installed on "Exit the Sim from flight" and CTD at random (some in Flt. some just parked on the ground, with me doing nothing), HERE.

I guess nothing can be done? ???  ::)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams