Author Topic: FA/18 CTD with SEQ button  (Read 28607 times)

Liftow

FA/18 CTD with SEQ button
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:52:26 pm »
Hello, I'm unsure if I'll get any support for this issue here, but I thought that I would try....first of all, great job on the FA/18 - really fantastic....however, some issues have arisen with CTD's specifically while using functions on the F/A-18 Panel...these are easily replicated and constant within my sysconfig - and others are reporting them as well....first, while using the direct to function on the gps while in the F/A-18, after selecting a destination and hitting the enter key it would result in a CTD everytime...i've fixed this error by uninstalling FSX Accel. and repairing the original FSX install, then copying the two gps cabs from the gauges folder and reinstalling Accel and overwriting the new ones.  This has fixed the gps direct to issue....Secondly, now when flying a flight plan or direct to plan - after hitting the seq key on the panel to fly the route, a CTD occurs everytime...again these are constant and easily replicated...

This forum documents others having this issue http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130066

I believe that there is also a thread over at Avsim about it...while I realize that you probably don't offer support for Microsoft products, I was hoping you may have some insight or advice for us?

Thanks very much for your work and help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FA/18 CTD with SEQ button
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:35:55 pm »
The only thing that I can say, it's that I never been able to replicate this problem. Yes, I have seen some users reporting it, and now that I read you messsage, maybe I have some ideas.

The F/A-18 navigation is not supposed to be used together with the default FSX GPS, I never tested it in such environment. The F/A-18 gauge calls into the FSX gps.dll directly, as the FSX gps gauges do. I don't know what might happen if you use both at the same time, because this is not how one is supposed to use it. The usual workflow is to use only the FSX Flight Planner, and then interact with the flight plan with the regular F/A-18 avionics only, without using the gps gauge at all. I'd even get rid of it in the panel.cfg, just to be sure...

Liftow

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:51:43 pm »
Thanks for the response virtuali...that would make sense and now I can stop pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong...I'll pass on the information to others and perhaps we can find a way to get the two working in unison....

Cheers!

msduran

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:30:20 am »
I have the same problem here.

When I dicovered the forum, I decided to follow the Flight Planning Tutorial.
Flight plan done, load flight and then SEQ key pressed... CTD!!!!
The only way to make things happen is to load a free flight, then, through the menu, I load the flight plan saved before. Back to the VC, now I can press SEQ key...

If I save a flight while flying, if I press the SEQ key after I load it back, CTD again!!!

Ratcatcher

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:56:54 pm »
I too have this problem. For me it seems like every other launch of the game gets a ctd. When I go back in the seq works and it doesn't matter how often I click on it while on a mission.

seaviper

• Seaviper.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:13:37 am »
No CTD's here ! I have loaded plans via the default planner and used only the cockpit avionics while flying.

Vista 32, FSX, Acceleration, Xload, UTX USA & Canada
AMD 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
4GB 800mhz DDR2
XFX Geforce 7950GX2
SoundBlaster Xfi-Platinum
SATA 300 GB/s HD
Saitek X52
Check Wheels Down

Wolf_Rider

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:30:22 pm »
Hi,
Yep... same problem

Create plan/ send plane to airfield, in cockpit select WPT... select SEQ and it all falls over   ???

Seriously, great work on the model  :o
"No matter what age we are, we've never quite left the schoolyard"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:38:57 pm »
Sorry, still doesn't happen here. When I wrote the tutorial, I obviously had to take the same steps, load a flightplan, send the airplane to the departing airfield, pressing WPT and then SEQ to take screenshots, but I never had any crash.

Have you tried updating your Visual C++ runtimes to last version ?

You can do it by installing our Zurich scenery trial OR, if you are not interested, you can download the runtimes from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

Wolf_Rider

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 04:36:29 am »
Nope... still no go

Problem Event Name:   BEX
  Application Name:   fsx.exe
  Application Version:   10.0.61637.0
  Application Timestamp:   46fadb14
  Fault Module Name:   MSVCR80.dll
  Fault Module Version:   8.0.50727.762
  Fault Module Timestamp:   45712238
  Exception Offset:   00008a8c
  Exception Code:   c000000d
  Exception Data:   00000000
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   3081
  Additional Information 1:   8988
  Additional Information 2:   37aebcfc1ce546039b15a08dfa1a99be
  Additional Information 3:   0be6
  Additional Information 4:   38f4e2f248c4a825876a4e843322cbcd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 08:16:28 am »
This is strange.

Searching in Google for msvcr80.dll and the 00008a8c offset, gives several result, coming from all applications.

I used the name of the dll and the offset, because it gives an idea during in which function the crash happened. Msvcr80.dll is part of the VC++ runtimes, and the 00008a8c is an offset to one of the many library function. It looks like several other programs that do not have anything to do with Flight sim, also suffer from a crash in the same library function.

There's seems to be a pattern, some of the users fixed the problem by returning the memory management strategy to the default setting. Have you changed the swap file setting, from handled by Windows (default) to a specific minimum/maximum size ?

Wolf_Rider

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 09:12:42 am »
You da man!

I was running my Page File as Custom Size and your advice has given SEQ functionality, setting the PF back to System Managed.
I was running Vista 4 x disc RAID with a small (512MB) PF on the system and a larger (2048) PF on a seperate IDE disc

Brent Beale

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:18:12 pm »
I had a similar problem, although when I originally installed Acceleration the F18 worked just as you described using the WP and SEQ keys for several weeks.

Until last weekend.  I was starting a flight and went to the left MFD to set ACL for the autopilot page and got a CTD with the error pointing to the MSVCR80.dll module.  I tried repeatedly after rebooting the system with the same result.  All the other keys of the left MFD were fine and operated as you described.  Then I tried the right MFD - pushed WP with no problem but when I touched SEQ CTD with MSVCR80.dll as the offending module again.

Scouring the forums and trying unsuccessfully different suggestions for most of the weekend I ran across someone noticing that if the 'light bloom' option on the graphics setting was activiated it would magically allow the SEQ button to operate properly.  Normally I don't have that option running so I tried it, and it worked!  Even better, when I reverted to disabling 'light bloom' it continues to work.  So another odd piece to the puzzle!

This is starting to get discouraging, what a confusing hobby I've picked (20 years ago)!  When it works I couldn't be happier, when it doesn't well its a frustrating pile of monkey dung.

Oh, excellent cockpit by the way!! ;D
i7-7700K, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit, DX10 FSX with Accel

Alan

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:27 am »
Guess i'll join in too and share my experiences with the fa18 hornet. Tonight I downloaded the Zurich trial scenery with the latest runtime files and then started fsx just to see what would happen. At first attempt I loaded a flight plan and then took the plane to the runway..wpt..seq and the thing worked for the first time in several days. Just out of curiousity, I then went to the multiplayer screen and did the same thing and the program crashed to the desktop like it always does. Wish I knew how to fix this problem because the fa18 is a nice piece of work ,and i suspect you couldn't get any better unless you had pay ware.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 01:25:49 pm »
Right now, the only fix that seems to work for many users, is to use the default Windows swap file management. Meaning, you should let Windows manage the swap file automatically, instead that specifically setting a minimum/maximum size.

Zurich shouldn't be affect the f/a-18, except for the fact its installer will update C++ runtimes to their latest version.

Alan

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:21:03 pm »
Well that doesn't seem to work for me either. The swap file settings have never been changed on this machine. I did find that the WP and Seq keys have never worked in multiplayer for me. They sometimes work after filing a flight plan in free flight but only after i'm in the cockpit and on the runway. Thinking about uninstalling it and doing a reinstallation to see if that helps.Hopefully someone at fsdreamteam can come up with a solution for this. I realize this is the fa18 board but was wondering if a manual would be available for the other air craft in the Acceleration pack as well.