Author Topic: Couatl.exe keeps being removed!  (Read 3177 times)

RickJH

Couatl.exe keeps being removed!
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »
Sorry guys, new here & this may have been addressed before.

I purchased GSX a while ago, but recently I had a problem with my machine where microsoft got involved & fixed it (basically my computer administrative account became corrupted so they created a new one & copied everything over from the old then deleted the old one).

Since then FSX is running fine but I have had to re-install a couple of addons as they were not functioning correctly - GSX being one of them.

I have trawled through the forums & noticed couatl needs to be trusted in antivirus software - which I have setup. I have downloaded (the latest version) & installed it now a couple of times with my Firewall turned off & everything is fine on FSX startup.

However, when I come back to my machine after a shutdown/restart, GSX is missing in my addons list although the addon manager is still there??

Looking in the FSX FSDreamteam folder I notice Couatl.exe file is missing!  :(

Any clues?

Many thanks
Rick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl.exe keeps being removed!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »
The problem is very likely the antivirus. It's not enough to configure it to ignore the Couatl.exe file, you must also:

- Download and install with the antivirus TURNED OFF. This is to prevent the file to be removed while is being installed, because before going into the FSX folder, it will be uncompressed to a temporary folder, so the antivirus might still remove it there.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe
YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll (although it seems the Addon Manager is running fine)

If you still don't see it, try to UNINSTALL first, and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine ?" and then REINSTALL, with the antivirus off.

RickJH

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:52:18 pm »
I have already done this as I read this in an another post (taken some screenshots but don't know how to upload them - Norton 360 set in "Items to exclude from scans" + allowed in Firewall Program rules)

Do you think it has something to do with windows defender as this was corrupted & was the reason why Microsoft replaced my user account?

I am using Windows 8.1 & GSX worked fine before.

Thanks
Rick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
Never heard of any problems with Windows defender. However, is not very clear from your message if Couatl is being removed, with "removed" meaning physically removed from its folder, or just disappeared from the "Addons" menu.

If it's really removed, so you don't have the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe file anymore after running FSX, then it's SURE the antivirus has removed it.

If, instead, the file is there, but it doesn't start, it MIGHT be the antivirus (blocking it from starting, without removing it), but it might be also something else.

RickJH

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:16:13 pm »
Yes, it has been PHYSICALLY removed!?!

I copied the FSDreamteam folder to my desktop with the exe file there just to check whether anything else had gone (20 items total) prior to restart & sure enough, it was missing after (19 items).

I also checked my Internet options in the control panel - content - publishers - untrusted & this field is blank, both when it was in the folder & afterwards when it wasn't...

I don't know what other settings to do?

Really confusing..

Thanks
Rick